IQM is the European leader in superconducting quantum computers, established in Espoo, Finland. In two years, we have grown to 250+ employees and have established subsidiaries in Germany, Spain, France and Singapore. We build quantum computers for research laboratories and supercomputing centers. For industrial customers, we deliver quantum advantage through our unique application-specific co-design approach.
We build world-leading quantum computers for the well-being of humankind now and for the future.
Are you interested in understanding the performance of quantum devices and want to actively contribute to the path of achieving fault tolerance? We have an open position that you should take a look at!
We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated Noise Characterization and Benchmarking specialist to support our mission of expanding the frontier of scientific and technological progress. You will be embedded in our Hardware Characterization and Simulation Team in Munich and in constant exchange with other technical teams at IQM.
What will I be doing?
As a member of our team, you will be responsible for advancing the technical area of quantum characterization, verification and validation (QCVV) within IQM to assess the performance of our quantum computing hardware. You will have an active role in the development cycle towards achieving fault tolerance and will work closely with our R&D teams to advance our quantum computing systems.
Your tasks include:
- Design strategy and plan roadmap for implementing QCVV within IQM to characterize and benchmark our quantum computers or relevant components.
- Execute early-stage implementations and simulations, including hands-on programming.
- Work closely with our hardware and software teams toward the advancement of our quantum computers.
- Collaborate with our research teams to identify and implement error mitigation and error suppression strategies.
- Provide technical solutions for internal requirements, e.g., for quantum processor or application benchmarks.
- Perform hands-on research on novel and efficient QCVV techniques.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in the field through literature review and conference participation.
- Drive and engage in academic and industrial partnerships.
What skills do I need?
- PhD in theoretical physics, mathematics, or a closely related field with a focus on quantum computing or quantum information.
- Strong theoretical understanding of standard benchmarking techniques such as randomized benchmarking or gate-set tomography.
- 2+ years of experience programming with Python or another high-level language.
- In-depth theory knowledge of quantum device characterization and benchmarking.
- Professional hands-on experience in quantum device characterization and benchmarking.
- Proven track record of scientific publications in renowned journals in the areas of quantum noise characterization or quantum benchmarking.
What can I expect from IQM?
- A great opportunity to perform world-class R&D and implement cutting edge technology
- Cutting-edge manufacturing and laboratory infrastructure
- Sufficient financial backing for ambitious projects
- An opportunity to work with a passionate and diverse team on an important mission
- A unique opportunity to make a real impact on the future of quantum
- Growth and progress in a creative and open start-up environment
Meet our people and hear more about IQM by visiting our Youtube channel here
We'll proceed with the interviews immediately, so please submit your application soon.